So, what is the Aubrey/Maturin series,
I’ll give you the short version, since the series as a whole numbers twenty volumes – and I have no desire to delineate the plots of each book. Here goes:
The series centers on the rather odd-couple friendship of Jack Aubrey, a captain in the British navy, and Stephen Maturin, a half-Catalan doctor and intelligence agent, during the Napoleonic Wars. The series follows the lives of each (very different) man, and charts the course of their friendship over roughly twenty years. O’Brian’s focus on these men and the very real (and therefore occasionally strained) nature of their friendship is in part what keeps the series so readable. Aubrey - honest, hearty, and a genius at sea - is rather lost on land, in constant financial difficulty, and often befuddled by the less honest natures of other men. Stephen is, essentially, his opposite. Terrible at sea, often cantankerous, and an intelligence agent, he is more concerned with pursuing his side career as a naturalist than he is in engaging in Aubrey’s naval actions. Certain plot threads are carried across multiple novels, but reading the books in order, while recommended, is not essential.
I should say that I am not by nature a fan of the sea faring novel, and the idea of sitting down to read a single book – let alone twenty – that throws around naval jargon without ever really explaining what said jargon means would not, under normal circumstances, be my idea of a really good time.
Add to that that the idea of ‘naval fiction’ sounds rather square, for lack of a better term. One may read and greatly enjoy the novels of Horatio Hornblower, for example, but upon having read them it would be difficult to say that they were monuments of stylistic virtuosity, thematic depth, or immense – and polyglot - erudition. O’Brian’s books are all of these things. They are also possessed of a singular narrative drive and a welcome sense of humor. In the end, all of that confusing jargon really doesn't matter. The charms of the series outweigh any initial confusion. Think Jane Austen, if Austen had written sea novels, possessed an encyclopedic knowledge of medicine and the natural world, and had had a slightly more ribald sense of humor.
I find it difficult to select only one, or even a small handful, of these novels for reading, as there really isn’t a bad book in the bunch. Nonetheless, I will make an effort to tip you in the direction of some of the series’ best books.
Post Captain
Post Captain is the second of the series, but it was the first in which I knew that I was addicted. I can recall having some difficulties with the first book – perhaps I was too young, or perhaps there was some other malady, but whatever the cause, the first book was tough going. This one, however, was simply wonderful. I got the sense that O’Brian knew at this point that he could get at least a few good novels out of his premise, and consequently began to flesh out his cast of characters. The reader is introduced to two additional characters that become quite important as the series progresses, and the naval language, while always a challenge to non-nautical types like me, is no longer so alien to the ear. Surprise takes the protagonists to India, and further explores Stephen’s relationship with Diana Villiers, the character who would become his romantic interest.
The Reverse of the Medal
These two books chart the makings of Jack’s financial ruin, his subsequent disgrace, and the eventual restoration of his career and happiness (and for those worried that I just spoiled the ending, fear not). Coming roughly mid-way through the series, these books wrap up a number of plot threads while beginning others.
The Commodore
A wonderful later addition to the series. It continues to add depth to Stephen's character, his relationship with Jack, and, especially, with his family. Much of it takes place on dry land, for a change, but it's still quite exciting.
No comments:
Post a Comment