Several days ago, I posted links to a couple of articles in The New York Times; one of those articles concerned a number of documentary films that have been nominated for Oscars this year.
Thinking back to that blog entry, I decided that I might post the names of a few more documentaries that I’ve seen and that – for one reason or another – I found to be quite worthwhile.
You will notice, however, that the six films fall into one of three very different categories: the seriously serious, the seriously entertaining, and the seriously surfing.
The Serious Stuff
1. The Fog of War (2003)
Brilliant. Directed by Errol Morris (A Brief History of Time; Mr. Death) , the film focuses on former Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara as he ponders the U.S. involvement in Vietnam. A serious-minded, sobering, and occasionally sad film, it is also extremely interesting, and a serious meditation on the politics of war. One of the best documentaries that I have ever seen.
2. When the Levees Broke (2006)
Spike Lee’s 2006 documentary on the devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina is a long, deeply affecting, and often angry work. It originally aired on HBO, and it deserves a watch. It isn’t a happy work, certainly, nor is it pleasant – but as a document of devastation, hope, and failure, it is vital.
The Seriously Entertaining
3. Spellbound (2002)
This documentary – directed by Jeffrey Blitz – follows eight young students as they attempt to reach the National Spelling Bee in 1999. This sounds as if it should be as dull as watching paint dry on a hot afternoon. Surprisingly, it isn’t. Even more surprisingly, the filmmakers manage to eke out an enormous amount of suspense from the question of which child will win the contest (or even if any of them will win). It’s also an interesting look into the lives of these kids, and the kinds of personalities that go into making a spelling champ.
4. The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill (2003)
Directed by Judy Irving, this decidedly quirky documentary follows San Francisco musician Mark Bittner as he decides to care for a flock of birds. The audience learns a good deal about the appealing Bittner, and yet one of the film’s surprising feats lies in how it manages to get the viewer to care about the birds as though they were characters with true depth. A slight, but very charming, documentary.
The Seriously Surfing
5. Riding Giants (2004)
I like surfing movies. It’s hard to explain why – I am not a surfer. Perhaps it has to do with the vicarious thrill I get from watching these guys work.
This film is great fun, and easily enjoyed – even by those who, like me, have never surfed in their lives. The film, directed by Stacy Peralta, charts the history of big wave surfing in Hawaii. It isn’t an especially deep film, but it does manage to convey some of the sense of awe that surfing inspires in so many. And frankly, watching those huge waves is always entertaining.
6. Step into Liquid (2003)
Though Dana Brown's film is a bit less focused that Giants, its anecdotes are nonetheless entertaining. It follows a series of surfers doing their things, and the film incorporates some deliriously good footage and beautiful scenery. Again, like Giants, not deep, but kind of hypnotic to watch.
No comments:
Post a Comment