Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Mysterious Subscriptions to Outside Magazine

I recently discovered that I have somehow wound up with a subscription to Outside Magazine. Knowing that I’m not exactly what some might call an ‘outdoorsman,’ and seeing as how I never actually subscribed to the magazine, this discovery was unexpected.

But I’m not complaining. Turns out I actually like Outside Magazine, and if anything was going to convince me to run over to my local REI outlet and plunk down several thousand dollars on fancy outdoor equipment, the glossy photos of the natural world that appear in this magazine might do the trick. Of course, with my luck, someone from Outside will probably read this blog and rectify the error.

In the meantime, I’ve discovered that the magazine's articles are pretty darn good. The April issue (which, of course, appears on newsstands in March) has a very funny article written by Wells Tower, and it describes a series of disastrous international trips that he’s taken with his father. I would provide a link to the article, but the current issue isn’t yet available online. Shucks.

Many of the articles from past issues are available online, however, and there are a number of good pieces (including articles by Jon Krakauer, author of the books Into Thin Air and Into the Wild). Here is the link to Outside Magazine’s archive.

No comments: