I like a sophisticated comedy as much as the next guy, but sometimes a truly sophomoric film will catch me off guard, and I’ll find myself laughing rather hard. And after seeing far too many stupid, inane, offensive, or simply icky comedies of late, I’ve come to the not very profound (or original) conclusion that there is an art to a well made dumb comedy. It takes skill and talent to make a stupid joke work, odd as that may sound.
The following clips are from Mel Brooks' Young Frankenstein – one of my favorite comedies. The movie may be funnier if you have a passing familiarity with director James Whale’s Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein, but the laughs work even without that familiarity. If you’ve never seen it, the movie is worth watching.
Oh... And then there's this rambling mess of a movie - which is totally unrelated to Young Frankenstein, except for the fact that it too is utterly and completely sophomoric. And the fact that it's funny. John Landis' The Blues Brothers features a great musical score, too.
1 comment:
I never watched this movie , even never heard of this.
Post a Comment