I have recently been reminded that Oscar Season approaches. How could I have forgotten? I didn’t really – I’ve just been blocking it out. Thinking about that entity officially known as “Oscar Season” just reminds me of what I don’t need reminding of: that the Oscars are political rather than meritorious. Sure, the ceremony gets some things right, and it does help to bring in new viewers for certain films, but… Braveheart? A Beautiful Mind? Gladiator? Sure, I enjoyed 'em - but as best picture? Really?
I’m reminded of the clip from the recent Tropic Thunder in which Robert Downey Jr., playing an Oscar winning actor with questionable methods, lectures another performer on the politics of winning awards. The film itself is rather ho-hum, but this scene (while definitely not pc) is funny, and it feels sadly accurate in its description of the kinds of blatant 'Oscar bait' performances that the Academy often rewards. For the record - and for those who haven't seen the film - the satire here includes Downey, Jr.'s deluded actor.
No comments:
Post a Comment