These aren’t my Muppets.Imagine my (mild) surprise earlier this evening when, casually flipping through the channels, I discovered Letters to Santa: A Muppets Christmas – NBC’s new Muppet mess… er, “special.”
I wish I hadn’t watched.
Granted, it’s been a verrrry long time since I last tuned in to see Kermit and the gang (and childhood nostalgia may be clouding my judgment just slightly), but I don’t remember the Muppets ever being this generically, insufferably saccharine. Ick.
Sure, they occasionally had a message and could often be slightly cornball, but all of that was usually leavened with a solid dose of mischief. See the accompanying clips of Statler and Waldorf (the bitter, sarcastic balcony dwellers from The Muppet Show) below if your memory needs refreshing.
Balcony Clips 1
Balcony Clips 2
Milton Berle v. Statler and Waldorf
Balcony Clips 2
Milton Berle v. Statler and Waldorf
No comments:
Post a Comment