While I usually don’t include non-artistic figures in the daily “Birthdays,” I have been sorely tempted.Take today, for example. There I was, performing a little research for the daily B-Day update, when I came across a few websites that listed January 6th as the birthday of Joan of Arc – never mind that the birth records for French peasants in 1412 are just a tiny bit sketchy.
But you know what? I’ll take it. Joan is a fascinating figure, and that birth date gives me an excuse to mention her – if only briefly.
She did not make my official birthday list, of course – historically significant, yes, but then she isn’t known for her art.
Nonetheless, her story has served as the basis for quite a few artistic projects – none of which has ever really surpassed The Passion of Joan of Arc, Carl Theodor Dreyer’s silent masterpiece from 1928. It was one of star Maria Falconetti's only screen roles – and she is really, really good in the part.
The restored version of the film has been out on DVD for some time now (in a wonderful print by Criterion), and yet I suspect that a great many people have yet to see the film. Trust me – it’s worth the time.
No comments:
Post a Comment