Sunday, January 20, 2008

Four Links to Articles in the Great Cineaste Magazine

I hadn’t meant to post again this evening, but a few articles on movie related issues caught my eye. Since the authors of these articles can say interesting things more eloquently than I, I decided to post links to said articles on the blog.

Each of these links will take you to an article on the Cineaste website. I’d forgotten how good a magazine Cineaste is – I had a subscription to it years ago, but let it lapse and, as often happens with subscriptions, never renewed it. Reading these articles, I momentarily wish I had.

The first two links will connect you to articles that discuss two films I mentioned in a previous post. The first is a review of David Fincher’s Zodiac. The second article is an interview with James Mangold, who directed 3:10 to Yuma. I can’t claim to have been overly enthused by Mangold’s earlier work (Copland, Girl, Interrupted, and Identity simply didn’t do much for me), but Yuma and Walk the Line surprised me by actually being interesting.

So voila – the first two links:

http://www.cineaste.com/articles/review-zodiac.htm

http://www.cineaste.com/articles/an-interview-with-james-mangold.htm

The third link will take you to an editorial. While the primary purpose of this blog is to deal with art and not politics (politics has a way of getting folks way off track when discussing an issue, quickly derailing any potential for a reasonable conversation), various artistic media have been known engage the political realm, and in such cases I feel those moments are open for discussion. In their editorial, the Cineaste editors present a thoughtful examination of several films that deal with the war in Iraq.

http://www.cineaste.com/331editorial.htm

The fourth and final link leads to something much lighter (and, I suppose, more commercial) – a review of some of the many boxed DVD sets sent out by Warner Brothers.

http://www.cineaste.com/articles/dvd-review-warner-brothers-dvd-box-sets.htm

So, read on and enjoy.

No comments: